Season 2022-2023 Registration and Audition Deadlines
June 9 – August 1, 2022
- Selected NEW students may register and audition until August 1, 2022. We are accepting auditions for the following instruments at this time:
- Strings: Viola & bass only
- Winds: Oboe & bassoon only
- ALL Brass: French horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, & tuba
- (NEW) Marching band students who play the above mentioned instruments may audition (for any SDYS ensemble) until August 1, and join mid-year.
How to Audition
To audition for the 2022-2023 season all students MUST complete the following steps:
- Complete your Registration for SDYS and pay the $50 registration fee by August 1: Register Here!
- Review and prepare all audition requirements listed by instrument below.
- This includes scales, solo piece(s), and orchestral excerpt. NO piano accompaniment.
- Specific repertoire for each instrument can be found in the Audition Requirements by Instrument section below.
- It is recommended that you review the repertoire requirements with your private teacher.
- Complete Audition Application online via Acceptd by August 1: Audition Here!
- Results will be available in August. Results will not be given over the phone.
Be sure to review all details, requirements, and deadlines for your registration, and contact the SDYS team with any questions: email@example.com, 619.233.3232 extension 4.
2022-2023 Audition Requirements By Instrument
Solos should be performed with NO piano accompaniment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register for an audition at SDYS?
This is done in two steps:
- First, you must complete your Registration for SDYS at https://myinfo.sdys.org/register/.
- Then, complete the Audition Application online via Acceptd at https://app.getacceptd.com/sdys.
Who is eligible?
Musicians between age 7 to 22 at all levels (including debut strings and winds and band instruments) are eligible to audition. Students with little to no experience do not need to audition - please see question below.
I am a beginner with little to no experience, what do I do?
Students with little to no experience who wish to be in one of our beginning groups do not need to submit an audition, simply please fill out this form.
How do I know which orchestra or band I should audition for?
Refer to our Ensembles Page and the Audition Requirements and consult with your private lesson teacher to determine the orchestra that best suits your skill level. If you do not have a private teacher, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SDYS has so many ensembles. Where do I fit?
SDYS Ensemble Progression Chart
When auditioning, students audition for SDYS in general, not a specific ensemble. Based on the student’s age (SDYS Age Chart) and performance, our Artistic Staff place them in the appropriate ensemble. SDYS judges will be evaluating your performance based on a few specific criteria only.
How much is tuition?
Tuition depends on which ensemble you place into, and it may change from year to year. SDYS Tuition Chart.
Is need-based tuition assistance available?
Yes. SDYS offers Tuition Assistance so that all families can allow their children to experience the joy of music. Families with need are encouraged to apply and can demonstrate eligibility for support by submitting the tuition assistance application along WITH your supporting documents. To learn more and apply, please visit https://sdys.org/program/tuition-assistance/.
Where can I find out more about SDYS and the rehearsal/performance calendar?
Please visit our website to view our 22- 23 Musician Handbooks and Season Calendars.
When do I find out my audition results?
Audition results will be emailed out by July 1. Audition results will not be given over the phone.