2021 – 2022 COVID-19 Policy for Students
As we resume in-person rehearsals, SDYS students’ health and safety remain our highest priorities. We will notify you of any updates throughout the season as CDC or local guidelines are modified.
To ensure the safety of all students, SDYS will enforce the following:
All students must have a signed SDYS COVID-19 Waiver from their parent or guardian prior to their first in-person rehearsal. You may:
- Email a signed SDYS Covid-19 Waiver to email@example.com, OR
- Complete the Covid-19 Waiver Online Form.
- Students who are sick must stay home.
- Masks that cover the nose and mouth are required at all times unless eating or drinking. Eating is allowed only outside of the rehearsal rooms.
- Wind/brass students will be required to use an instrument PPE (bell cover) of at least two layers with a layer of Merv-13 filter and a slitted mask. SDYS will issue one instrument PPE and one slitted fabric mask to each of these students at the first rehearsal. Replacement slitted masks and bell covers may be purchased for $5 each.
- Air will be circulated 2x each hour in every rehearsal room with HEPA filtration.
- All students will be distanced from one another as the rehearsal room allows. Winds/brass will be distanced six feet apart from the rest of the ensemble.
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes will be provided at all doors to rehearsal rooms, and available for student use.
- All conductors and staff present are required to be fully vaccinated and wear a mask.
- To minimize risk, the only people allowed into the rehearsal space are SDYS staff and students. For Beginning Strings and Debut Winds only, one parent may attend rehearsal with proof of vaccination.
Reporting and responding to COVID-19 cases:
- If your child is confirmed to have a COVID-19 infection and was at SDYS within 2 days prior to diagnosis, please notify the Conservatory team at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- An investigation into student overlap will occur when SDYS is notified about someone at a rehearsal or event testing positive.
- Any student who was exposed/in close contact (within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) to COVID-19 at SDYS will be notified within one business day of SDYS being notified.
- Confidentiality will be maintained to the extent possible.
If a student is in close contact with a person with COVID-19 either off- or on-site:
- Any unvaccinated student may not attend rehearsal and must quarantine for 10 days.
- Any vaccinated student may attend rehearsals as long as they are symptom-free. We recommend getting a COVID test 3-5 days after exposure, as advised by the CDC.
- Attendance will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis.
If a student contracts COVID-19:
- Any vaccinated or unvaccinated student may not attend rehearsal until a 10-day quarantine period is complete AND the student is symptom-free.
- Attendance policies will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis.
Please contact the Conservatory team with any questions at email@example.com.