SDYS maintains an instrument library in order to facilitate instrument loans to students enrolled in an SDYS ensemble or program.
Students may borrow an instrument from SDYS for the following reasons:
- A student’s conductor may recommend the use of a higher quality instrument than the one the student currently plays.
- A musician who is switching instruments (e.g., a violinist who wants to double on viola) may find a loaned instrument useful.
- A musician who is eligible for tuition assistance may use the loan program to continue to develop musically.
- When an ensemble conductor has a musical need for a specific instrument which is not commonly used (e.g., English horn, contrabassoon, soprano saxophone, etc.), the conductor may ask a musician to double on the needed instrument to fill the musical need.
- A beginning student may borrow an instrument for one year.
If your request is for one of the reasons above, you may ask a conductor or teaching artist to recommend you for an instrument loan. Beginning students may request an instrument from the Conservatory team.
Deposit & Loan Agreement
You will be required to pay a deposit of 10% of the instrument’s value (refundable in full upon return of the instrument in good condition) and sign an instrument loan agreement. All instrument loan agreements must be renewed on an annual basis.
For more information, please contact our Instrument Librarian Charlie Perkes, firstname.lastname@example.org or 619.233.3232 x114.
If you do not meet the criteria to borrow an instrument from SDYS, we encourage you to contact one of the instrument rental companies below: